Q: Please help me by suggesting whether Zakat will be permissible to someone who wants to go for higher studies in a foreign land and his father's only earning is a flat which has been rented out and they live in a relatives' house. JazakAllah.

A: If that person has net wealth below the Nisab (approx £260) or is in debt with a net that takes him below the Nisab, he may receive Zakat funds.

And Allah knows best1

Mufti Faraz Adam